WHAT YOU SHOULD PAY ATTENTION TO BEFORE LIP INJECTIONS
I want to inject my lips, what do I need to consider?
How do I find the right doctor? Who suits me? Who makes the most beautiful lips, for my needs? How will I look afterwards? Questions upon questions. Before an appointment for lip augmentation, this guide will help you answer important questions in advance with your doctor and avoid undesirable consequences or complications after surgery.
1. PAY ATTENTION TO THE MATERIAL.
On the market of aesthetic surgery there are hundreds of different hyaluronic acid fillers and unfortunately also many products, some of which are banned in Austria or whose quality is inferior. These are semi-permanent or permanent fillers, such as bio-polymer. This product may sound particularly natural due to the term “bio”, but in reality it is plastic and dangerous. Only hyaluronic acid from well-known and reputable manufacturers should be used for lip injections. Here is a list of products that we recommend at “theaesthetics”:
- Belotero® Lips, Belotero ®Balance, Belotero® Volume.
- Juvederm® Ultra 3, Ultra Smile – NOT Juvederm Volbella® or Volift® (author’s personal opinion)
- Croma Filler – Princess® or Saypha®
- Stylage Lips®
- Teoxane KISS®
- Restylane Kysse®
- Filorga® Filler
But is hyaluron not equal to hyaluron? Not by any stretch of the imagination. Hyaluronic acids differ by cross-linking and concentration when you look at the packaging:
- Concentration of hyaluron – mostly cross-linked hyaluron. This is indicated in mg/ml. E.g. 22mg/ml.
- Cross-linking: fillers that are not cross-linked cannot create permanent volume, as they simply “run away”. Such products can only be used to improve skin quality.
- Addition of lidocaine – this should be standard today. Products without lidocaine hurt more.
However, unfortunately, this was far from everything. What is not found on the package, but is of great significance, is a well-kept secret at all manufacturers. The consistency! The following factors, in addition to the doctor’s technique, are different for each filler, but they are decisive for the consistency and thus also for the success of the treatment:
- Elasticity – How “soft” and “pliable” is the product.
- Plasticity – How much the product moves back to its original shape when pressure is applied.
- Cohesiveness – How “stable” the product remains in the place where I inject it.
Of course, no list can be one hundred percent and always complete, but only the reputable manufacturers, which among others have already been mentioned above, carried out intensive research in order to design first-class products.
2. PAY ATTENTION TO THE KNOW-HOW AND EXPERIENCE OF THE DOCTOR.
There is no training that guarantees that the person treating the patient is familiar with the anatomy of the lip, the aging process and also with the possible dangers. Unfortunately, in recent years, there have been cases of permanent blindness after lip injections. If filler is injected directly into the vessel, it can clog the artery leading to the retina and cause permanent blindness.
To enlarge lips by injecting them with hyaluronic acid belongs to the field of aesthetic medicine. As part of the residency training for plastic and aesthetic surgery, doctors operate on lips. They learn how to build up a lip, reconstruct lips and treat lip tumors. The technique of injections is learned later in special courses. The aesthetic treatment of the lip is not part of any training.
Dr. Rolf Bartsch is a trainer for aesthetic treatments and teaches his knowledge in these certified courses (www.fillertraining.at). Only those who know the ropes can avoid risks. The treating physician must be familiar with the anatomy of the lips, the aging process and also with the possible complications/dangers. Above all, in case of complications, he must know HOW to deal with them.
For the patient it is very difficult to find the right specialist for lip injections, because dermatologists and general practitioners can also learn this very well through additional training and also perform it professionally. Therefore, it is always necessary to clarify beforehand: Does the person treating have enough experience, abundant knowledge, satisfied patients? Further training is also important, because medicine is developing rapidly, there are new findings, new products and new techniques. Only those who have experience and medical know-how, as well as understand their craft, can avoid risks.
Tip, ask beforehand:
- Before/after results
- Have there ever been complications and what was the reaction? Someone who does a lot of lip injections will have to use Hylase on his own patients at some point. Someone who claims never to have treated a complication, even in their own patients, may have only performed very few treatments.
3. PAY ATTENTION TO THE LOCATION OF THE TREATMENT.
Fillers are medical products and their administration is still in the hands of doctors in Austria. However, this does not necessarily guarantee safety. Wherever the treatment takes place, it should be in a room designed for such treatment. An examination couch, a wash basin and materials for hand disinfection must be available. Sterile needles or cannulas must be used during treatment and the person providing treatment must wear gloves and work in a sterile manner.
4. PAY ATTENTION TO RECOMMENDATIONS AND EVALUATIONS.
A personal recommendation is worth a lot. We, too, certainly have more than 50 percent of our new patients through personal referrals. Anonymous reviews on the Internet can be controlled or false. Nevertheless, it helps online to pay attention to reviews and read ratings in reputable forums (docfinder.at, estheticon.com, google.at). Satisfied patients speak for a professional and good doctor. Never pay attention to the number of reviews alone. The quantity says nothing, half can be faked. Nevertheless, in our eyes, an overall picture cannot be falsified in the long run.
5. PAY ATTENTION TO THE GUT FEELING.
The last and certainly most important point is the gut feeling. Trust in the doctor and a good feeling with the team and in the office are important. If, despite all the euphoria of recommending friends, despite a great price (“lip treatments under €250.- are unserious”) the gut says “there is something wrong” then better keep looking.